Sunday, October 2, 2016

The Opposible Thumb or Don't Listen to Your Dentist

By their first birthday most babies have taken their first steps and spoken a few words.  But even earlier - at about four months - they begin to perfect one of the first skills involving coordination of their voluntary muscles - the ability to grasp.  Grasping is only possible because we have opposable thumbs - so called because of their positioning opposite and slightly below the plane of our fingers.  Opposable thumbs allow us to encircle, lift, and manipulate objects with our hands.  We take a lot for granted about our anatomy and the ability to grasp is one of them.

In the manifestation of ALS in my life, the atrophy of muscles in my hands has distorted my thumbs.  They no longer look or act like opposable thumbs.  When I press my palms and fingers flat on a table, my thumbs stick up in the air.

I first became aware of problems with my thumbs about eight months before I was diagnosed with ALS.  On what passes in Austin for a cold winter day, I attempted to repair the gate of my fence and was unable to hold the wood screw in my left hand as I operated the screwdriver with my right.  I wrote the whole thing off to the cold and poor circulation.    But my thumb muscles continued to deteriorate, and I can no longer manage buttons and zippers, pick up small objects, and effectively turn pages in a book.   When I took a typing course in the eight grade I was able to type 80 words per minute with no errors on an old Royal manual typewriter.  Now, my hands and fingers are so distorted that I have neither the strength nor the dexterity to keyboard the old way.  For someone who has to use a keyboard in lieu of a voice to communicate this is a big deal.

Fortunately, I'm learning how to adapt. I dress in clothes with no zippers and buttons but lots of elastic, I use a stiff card to scoop up things I've dropped on the floor, I've switched from flipping pages to reading e-books on my IPad, and I've developed a modified touch typing/single finger typing system.

And, to the chagrin of my dentist, I now use my teeth to do a lot of things I used to do with my hands.  Strong jaws and sharp teeth can do quite a number on shrink wrap!

My neurologist says my body is going to wear out a lot faster than my teeth.  So, with all due respect to my dentist, get over it!  If dogs are allowed to use their teeth to grab things, so can I.

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    I appreciate your blog. It makes me a little uncomfortable to think of how all-challenging each task can be and the huge effort it must take to write your blog.

    You know how much I love to offer suggestions! I've suggested some topics I would like you to consider writing about. But I am enjoying your organic stuff already ;-)

    1). Could you address sexuality in your blog? Are you ableto/doyou/lecherous thoughts/ completely over it? How is self image inpacted?

    2). I know I am considered the "weird one" in the family on this topic.... But may I also ask you to address dreams? Have you noticed more or fewer dreams? Do your dreams seem more significant? Have you told anyone about them, or instead hidden these dreams? Do you believe that God communicates with Christians today in dreams?

    3). Beyond appreciating and benefiting from prayers, and acknowledging the future reward of Heaven, how does religion or spirituality Help or hurt? Do "church people" behave better or offer more enjoyable visitation/encouragement?
    Does your church community provide any financial or caretaking assistance? Do you have any doubts about the whole Christianity thing?


    Thanks for your consideration on these topics... I look forward to your next piece,sir!

    As we hippies say "Write On, write on"

    Much love DC... say hello to my gorgeous cousin Charliss for me ;-)

    >>>---Archer--->

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bow & Arrow (not Mason) Archer,

    I fatigue a lot faster now, but I'm going to keep this up as long as I can. It's the only complex voice that's left.

    Re number 1 - Doggone it, why did you have to pick THAT one? I won't be heading down the TMI road, but I'm considering a post where sexuality might be addressed tangentially in the broader context of other subjects that are really on my heart at this point in my life.

    Re number 2 - I'm no expert on dreams, but I can say this - I don't think my dreams have increased in number or become more significant. Their themes are similar to what they've always been, but now they include me sometimes being in a wheelchair, which, in my dream, I don't really need because I can still walk. Last night, I dreamed my wheelchair was lined up with a bunch of people in wheelchairs at the starting line of a wheelchair race when some guy came up and stole my wheelchair. And I ran after him!

    Re number 3: The many aspects of that question will be center stage in many of my planned blogs, beginning with the one on Common Grace that will be announced in an email tomorrow. Or you can go to my blogsite and see it right now.

    Oh, and our church community does provide financial and caretaking assistance in various ways, not as a formal thing, but in the natural course of our love for each other.

    I really appreciate that you are reading this!

    Right Arm, Cuz!

    ReplyDelete

** Please avoid the use of profanity and the discussion of politics in your comments and treat all blog participants with respect. 1 Corinthians 13:4-6 is a useful comments guide.**