Friday, September 16, 2016


When you’re diagnosed with a fatal disease and told you probably have only about two years to live, you suddenly have a lot of things to do in a short amount of time.  Adding to my " to do" list, several of my friends and family persistently encouraged (nagged) me to put into words my “journey” with ALS. Until now I’ve done a really good job of resisting them.  This isn’t a journey, ALS isn’t my sidekick in the passenger’s seat, and it's not like touring West Texas to see all the cousins.  It's more like the Griswolds’ family vacation nightmare – but on steroids. Why expose myself at all?  And why presume that this would matter all that much to anyone else?

Shortly after I announced that I had ALS, a dear friend gave me Tuesdays with Morrie.  This little book tells the story of the relationship between Morrie, the old teacher dying from ALS, and Mitch, his former student and the book’s author.  One of Morrie’s pearls of wisdom really hit home, and it goes like this, “The truth is, Mitch, once you learn how to die, you learn how to live… Most of us walk around as if we're sleepwalking. We really don't experience the world fully because we're half asleep, doing things we automatically think we have to do... Learn how to die, and you learn how to live."

One thing that’s become crystal clear as I learn how to live with ALS is that I want to make a difference in the lives of other people with the time I have left.  And the idea of a blog made the most sense. After all, I can no longer speak and be understood, but I can still write, and the written word, sometimes converted into a computer-generated synthetic voice, is how I communicate.

This blog will be about how I live life now that I have ALS, how I deal with the obstacles, how I sometimes fail, and how I sometimes succeed.  Mostly, though, it will be about how this experience is changing my perspectives and about how I hang on to my faith.   Although I may not always pull it off, I’ll try to be personal, open, and real.  And I'll not be straying into the TMI zone. If you’re struggling too, which most of us are for one reason or another, I hope my posts encourage you.  That’s really why I’m doing this. 

If you want,  enter your email address at “Follow by Email” to sign up for email notices of the blog postings.  And feel free to tell others about this site.

Peace

P.S. To post a comment or see others' comments, click on the inconspicuous hyperlink at the bottom that says no comments, 1 comment, etc.  Remember click the Publish button to ensure your comment is published. 

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an amazing, strong man, and you have many friends praying for you every step of the way. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent beginning. Looking forward to the raw beauty, angst, and focus you will share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent beginning. Looking forward to the raw beauty, angst, and focus you will share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, I'll read about your journey trying to help in any way I can. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been ahead of me almost all the time, so I'll happily follow you here

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you David, for your self-less sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David - I am so sorry that you are having to go through this but I thank you so much for being willing to share the frustrations of the journey you are on. It really makes me stop and think about what is important in the midst of a busy day. God and people are all that really matters in the big scheme of things. I praise God that at the end of the journey...all tears will be wiped away and we will all be a new creation...exactly as God intended all along. Know that you have many friends that are supporting you and Charlis as much as we are able.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just started following your blog.Thank you for sharing your thoughts and taking us on your journey Looking forward to more sharing from you Peace comfort and blessings my friend

    ReplyDelete

** Please avoid the use of profanity and the discussion of politics in your comments and treat all blog participants with respect. 1 Corinthians 13:4-6 is a useful comments guide.**